Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What does your waitress really think?

Before we begin, let me introduce myself. My name is Jen, and I have worked full time in a restaurant for four years as a server and bartender. Despite my best efforts, I have learned to loathe my customers. It's not that I hate people, because I don't...not really, anyway. I'm not old and bitter, and I'm not an angry person in general. People, however, seem to feel that because they are paying for food, they are also paying to be able to abuse their server and act like a needy, whining tyrant. I guess you could say I've become a little...jaded with the service industry. Since it's best that I don't approach my tables and tell them that they're fucking assholes, I've created this blog to share my experiences as a server, as well as give advice on how to be less of a jerk.

Welcome to Your Server Hates You - if you are here, you either work in a restaurant and can commiserate, or you go to restaurants and probably have a few things to learn about why your server hates you. Even if you think you're the ideal customer, you're probably doing something really, really irritating. Read and learn!

Here's a sample of some of the things I will discuss in this blog:
  • Being aware of your surroundings
  • How to act appropriately in public
  • Arguments for and against the American tipping custom
  • Customer modifications of menu items
  • Controlling your unruly children
  • Being condescending
  • Your bartender is never going to have sex with you. Ever.
  • Bathroom etiquette (and I can't believe I need to write about this for adults)
  • Knowing what you want
  • Complaints and concerns
  • Coming in late
  • How to drink in public
  • How to dress like a fucking human
  • ...and so much more!
Of course, my experience in restaurants may vary from what others experience. I can tell you, however, that I have many friends in many restaurants across the country, and our stories are eerily similar. People are dicks no matter where you go, and we all deal with arrogant, self-important fucktards on a daily basis. Maybe you're not that bad. Maybe you're just a mom who wants to take her kids out to eat. But if you're letting them play with the sugar packets, you're still a dick. Maybe you're coming in to a restaurant with an allergy and you need to modify an item. That's fine, but if you're getting crazy with it, you're definitely still a dick.This blog will tell you why, and what you can do to change it.

Bon appetit, jerks.

-J

4 comments:

  1. Very good first posting. I can feel your anger. I worked for seven years in an elderly community serving food so I know the feelings you express. I like that you list what you will talk about which gives a sense of where your blog is going. This is definitely a topic that everyone can relate to because everyone goes out to eat (I'm starting to think that I'm a bad customer when I go to restaurants after reading your first post :) It is visually pleasing and not too crowded. Your background could even bee dirty plates or bow tie servers if you wanted to go that far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I think that this is going to be a very funny blog that I will definitely enjoy reading. Your purpose for writing is very clear; you are writing to tell readers about how they act like complete jerks in restaurants. I understand what you are saying, I can see when a server is getting angry at a customer but there is nothing they can do about it except spit in their food. I am interested in this and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hysterical. I must say I try to always be polite to my servers because they are hard working people who do their best. I can't stand how some people can be so rude and leave shitty tips. Keep your head up girl,its not forever! I think you have a strong purpose and love your crude language :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying this already. I worked at a high end restaurant for a short time and people used to killllll me. They all think they are higher than everyone else in attendance. People need to get a grip on life and learn that they are just like everyone else..can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete