Monday, June 11, 2012

I hate the American tipping custom, too.

While I agree that the tipping custom is bullshit, it is what it is. I don't see it changing any time soon. I make $2.13/hr. and that blows. I don't get a paycheck because all of my hourly wages go to taxes and health insurance (and I often have to pay money BACK to the restaurant because my wages aren't enough to cover my insurance.) I did choose this job, and I continue to work in a restaurant because I do make good money - because most people are decent, respectful people who understand that I rely on tips to pay my bills. It's important to understand that in countries where tipping is not the custom, eating out is more expensive because (shockingly,) the restaurant must pay their employees. The food at my restaurant is affordable because the restaurant isn't paying me $12/hr. to work there.
I'm not asking for a 100% tip by any means, but 15%-20% is standard and if you got your food and I didn't insult you, that's how much you should leave me. Remember, eating out is a convenience and a way for you to relax and enjoy yourself. My job is to make sure you have everything that you want and to give you the best possible experience. You sit in a chair, your food is cooked for you and served to you, and the mess you (and your kids) make is cleaned up for you. You are expected to pay for that convenience. If I'm in a shitty mood and I don't tell jokes and juggle for your table, you are at least getting some hot food that you didn't have to cook yourself and you can at least leave me something.
It's also important to note that if you don't tip me, I am PAYING FOR YOU TO EAT OUT. Let me explain. For every dollar in sales, I must pay 3% out to pay the busboys, hosts, and bartenders. I am also taxed based on my total net sales. Therefore, if your check is $50 and you leave me nothing, I will pay ~$1.50 for you to make a mess for me to clean up. That doesn't sound like a lot, but imagine how much I would be paying if all of my tables thought that tipping was "for the birds"! Many restaurants also require higher tipouts - I've heard of places that take out 6-10%, so in those cases you're an even bigger jerk.
There's so much more to talk about, but it's 3 am, I just got home from work, and now I need to cook dinner for myself before I go to bed.I'll edit this entry later.





3 comments:

  1. This is totally funny and totally true. You should be a stand-up comic, I'm for real.

    Unfortunately, most people are ignorant of the idea that waitresses make very little money especially if you get the "no tippers" (I know girl I use to be a waitress for 3 yrs).

    One day, I went out with a couple and their 5- year-old son to eat lunch at a restaurant, and we ate around $50 and I was astounded that my friend's husband only put down ONE DOLLAR...that's embarrasing.

    Besides that I ran out to the car as fast as I could. I just thought, you idiot I can't come here anymore, thanks.

    I didn't have any cash on me---if not I would have given the lady at least $5 on top of that. And it would have looked rude to put it on my credit card when he was paying.

    From now on, I will try to carry cash when I go out to eat--especially with CHEAPO's like that! LOL ;0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from the UK. American tipping is an appalling rip-off. I'd tip 10% for fantastic service, 5% if everything is good and there are no problems. No tipping for bar service or any over-the-counter transaction. It is NOT the customers' fault that the employer is exploiting their employees. I do feel for the staff but it should not come down to the customer to make up for the exploitative employer. The employers need to do better. It's unacceptable that in a developed country it is legal to pay people $2 an hour. In western Europe minimum wage is around $10 an hour, so tips are not a necessity, just a bonus for good service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May all of your beers be flat, may all of your hot meals be room temperature, and may all of your leafy greens be flaccid. It's not your "fault", but you're still receiving a service that you should be grateful for. A bartender works harder than anyone in the restaurant except the dishwasher. It sucks that the waiting wage is so low, but disagreeing with it is no reason to take it out on the person who is taking care of you.

      Now tip, you cheap fuck.

      Delete