| Some people feel that tipping is an
outdated American custom, and since they don't do it in other countries,
we shouldn't do it either. People argue that servers should not expect
tips because the restaurant should pay more, or that tips are only for
"outstanding" service (and the service is never deemed "outstanding" by
this type of cheapskate.) These types also argue that if I don't like
not receiving tips, I should just go get another job - I have "chosen"
to work at a restaurant, and I can choose to work somewhere else. You
know, because the job market is awesome and kick-ass jobs are so easy to
come by, especially ones with flexible schedules, nightly cash, and
health insurance. While I agree that the tipping custom is bullshit, it is what it is. I don't see it changing any time soon. I make $2.13/hr. and that blows. I don't get a paycheck because all of my hourly wages go to taxes and health insurance (and I often have to pay money BACK to the restaurant because my wages aren't enough to cover my insurance.) I did choose this job, and I continue to work in a restaurant because I do make good money - because most people are decent, respectful people who understand that I rely on tips to pay my bills. It's important to understand that in countries where tipping is not the custom, eating out is more expensive because (shockingly,) the restaurant must pay their employees. The food at my restaurant is affordable because the restaurant isn't paying me $12/hr. to work there. |
|||
| I'm not asking for a 100% tip by any means, but 15%-20% is standard and if you got your food and I didn't insult you, that's how much you should leave me. Remember, eating out is a convenience and a way for you to relax and enjoy yourself. My job is to make sure you have everything that you want and to give you the best possible experience. You sit in a chair, your food is cooked for you and served to you, and the mess you (and your kids) make is cleaned up for you. You are expected to pay for that convenience. If I'm in a shitty mood and I don't tell jokes and juggle for your table, you are at least getting some hot food that you didn't have to cook yourself and you can at least leave me something. | |||
| It's also important to note that if you don't tip me, I am PAYING FOR YOU TO EAT OUT. Let me explain. For every dollar in sales, I must pay 3% out to pay the busboys, hosts, and bartenders. I am also taxed based on my total net sales. Therefore, if your check is $50 and you leave me nothing, I will pay ~$1.50 for you to make a mess for me to clean up. That doesn't sound like a lot, but imagine how much I would be paying if all of my tables thought that tipping was "for the birds"! Many restaurants also require higher tipouts - I've heard of places that take out 6-10%, so in those cases you're an even bigger jerk. | |||
| Tipping isn't
going to go away, so arguments against it are useless. If you want to go
out to eat, you leave a tip and don't act like an asshole. It's as
simple as that. As much as it pains me to quote Chuck Palanhiuk, this
quote from Fight Club pretty much sums it up: "Remember this. The people you're trying to step on, we're everyone you depend on. We're the people who do your laundry and cook your food and serve your dinner. We make your bed. We guard you while you're asleep. We drive the ambulances. We direct your call. We are cooks and taxi drivers and we know everything about you. We process your insurance claims and credit card charges. We control every part of your life. We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact. So don't fuck with us.” -J |
|||
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Tipping Custom Revision
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment